Sunday, April 22, 2012

In Honor of Earth Day - birthday month: the conservationist

I actually feel wrong calling myself a conservationist, but couldn't come up with a different word. I am a novice conservationist. One in training. But something I am very interested in, and am looking to improve at!

A little history. My parents were way ahead of their game when it came to living naturally. Knowing my parents, one wouldn't think so. But while living in a lower middle class home in small town America, I was taught the importance of living green. We recycled in the early 70s, when we had to take them to the recycling center. We composted, even though we lived in town. They religiously read Mother Earth News, and had great hopes (which did not come true) about building an underground home that existed on solar energy. So thank you Mom and Dad!

While in college in Blair, NE, I had an opportunity to spend an Earth Day weekend with the Lakota indian tribe on their reservation. It was an amazing weekend of learning about the respect for Grandmother Earth, and all of the traditions and history the native americans have about Earth.

Fast forward to 2012 - I am a small town wife and mother, trying to do my best for the Earth. We composte, grow our own veggies, recycle as much as possible. (I even brought home two bags of recycling from NE this weekend because they couldn't recycle it, and we can! I am not above hauling trash!) I try to make as much as I can from scratch, to ensure the least amount of energy used - understanding the energy used to make, package, warehouse, and transport pre-packed products. I love hanging clothes out to dry, cooking outside on a dutch oven...

But I also know there is SO much more we can do. But I am focusing today on what we can do MORE to be BETTER to this amazing Mother Earth we live on. I'll keep you posted! What do YOU do to keep Mother Earth going???

No comments: