Monday, April 9, 2012

Birthday month day 5 - the volunteer

Ok, I know that I am slacking on the whole birthday discovery thing. I'm pretty sick - but on the mend. Need to get back to life! Been trying to kick myself in the butt today - doing some housework, writing out some delayed birthday and sympathy cards - etc. And that includes my blogging. (If I feel REALLY good, may even do another post later!)

So today I want to cover my work as a volunteer. Reason being - here is my horoscope for today:

Take care not to get up on a soapbox today, Melissa. You have strong opinions on everything from religion to politics. If you begin to expound on them you risk offending people. You would be better off keeping your views to yourself for a change. In fact, rather than trying to change people's minds with words, why not try and do so with your actions? Setting the right example is often the most effective form of persuasion.

Before I even read this today - I had been thinking (had a lot of time to do that being sick and all.) Thinking about how I can give back more. I've always loved volunteering - and was Blessed to work at a company that allowed me to include community service projects as part of my job -  working with CMN and United Way. But since I've left my job, I've not added more time to those groups, nor added anything new. I realize that I'm Blessed with more time now and I'm NOT USING IT LIKE I SHOULD!

 I've been thinking about different places I can help out.
  • I've been able to help with the funerals at church, which is good, but I've not joined the LWML. I need to do that.
  • I've been able to help out with the PTO funraiser at school, but I don't feel a strong connection as my children are no longer in that school. So I don't see more committment there.
  • I feel that I want to spend some more time with our youth group. I started a youth program at our church, but it was NOT at all successful. A dear friend has made it blossom, and maybe now is time to help her out. I'll ask. I would enjoy that.
So on my agenda:
  1. Contact both CMN and United Way to see what opportunities they have for my services.
  2. Contact the leader of the LWML and join.
  3. Talk to the CIA youth leader to see where I can help. I am one of those people whose bucket is filled by being able to help.
  4. Put some meetings and hours on my calendar THIS WEEK.
I'm not saying this to alutruistic. (Is that even the right word? Ha!) But to point out that I've been given this gift of more free time and I have completely neglected opportunities to give back. Shame on me. So having been thinking of this today, and then receiving this in my email, I realize it's time to make those calls! What a better way to make a difference - lead by example - and hopefully inspire others to do the same. Watched the Passion with the guys yesterday. Jesus gave up so much for us. God Blesses us every day. It's time to live in His image EVERY DAY.



No comments: