I was born into Christianity. Baptized, and confirmed. I think I thought at confirmation that I was done learning - the rest was just coasting. I suppose many 8th graders think that. Luckily for me, I chose a Christian college. I grew so much in those four years. Believe me, I made my share of wrong turns, but I also explored my own spirituality at a level I'd not experienced before.
So after leaving college, and moving back home, I became active in our church. After meeting my husband, he joined me. We changed churches, to our current congregation here in town when our oldest was approaching confirmation class. The commute would be difficult. Again, I think I was just "coasting" along. We were active - teaching Sunday school, ushering, lectoring, etc. But I wasn't STUDYING. I wasn't LEARNING.
After our Pastor's first wife lost her battle with cancer, he was able to meet and marry again. After she joined the congregation, she began a women's Bible study that is going on many years now! We have studied the Bad Girls of the Bible series, as well as many other studies. We are currently on Proverbs, and it is in this study that the understanding of just how much I have to learn came to me.
So I've started reading the Bible. Who would have ever thought that I would actually sit down and start reading the Bible? I'm learning so much. It causes me to ask questions, to dig in, and really think about what God's words mean to me. And to how I live my life. And how I need to live it EVERY day.
And I have begun my prayer journal. Not every prayer is written, because many have to happen right away. They don't get written down. They are simply prayed when needed.
Watched the Passion with my husband and son yesterday - as a reminder to why we celebrate Easter and what Jesus did to die for our sins. It is so humbling.
So I am a Christian in Training. :-) And I am working on it. I try very hard. I struggle with some of my thoughts and decisions. But I'm learning just to stop what I'm doing and pray. Giving it up. Hard thing to do, but the only way. I've learned through my life that all of the trials and tribulations God gives us are gifts. To teach us, to make us stronger. And I have a lot of learning left to do.
I came across this in my email today - and want to share.
Read more: http://www.oprah.com/spirit/Spiritual-Development-and-Healing-Practices-from-Marianne-Williamson#ixzz1raThktqA
1. Recognize your Creator. Think on this: There is a supreme power in the universe that is bigger and more powerful than your small mortal self. This step makes you humble.
2. Seek opportunities to put more love into the world. Strive to be a vessel of love, to fill the world with more compassion and kindness. This step makes you loving and lovable.
3. Set aside time each day to spend in spiritual reflection and contemplation. Dwell in the presence of the divine: Your path may be to pray, meditate, read spiritual material, take a long walk through nature—or all of the above—but an optimum practice includes both morning and evening sessions of at least 20 minutes each. This step makes you strong.
4. Become more accepting. With every interaction, surrender any tendency to judge another person. Pray for a more accepting heart. This step makes you gracious.
5. Forgive anyone you have not forgiven. Whenever you withhold forgiveness, you keep yourself bound to your own feelings of guilt. This step makes you kind.
6. Recognize your mistakes. Admit where you yourself have been wrong, and be willing to be corrected. This step makes you responsible.
7. Try to see the good in others. When you're tempted to judge someone, make an effort to see their goodness. Your willingness to look for the best in people will subconsciously bring it forth. This step makes you positive.
8. Take stock of your thoughts and behavior. Each night ask yourself, when were you negative when you could have been positive? When did you withhold love when you might have given it? When did you play a neurotic game instead of behaving in a powerful way? Use this process to self-correct. This step makes you grow.
9. Bless the world. Pray not just that your own life will be blessed but that blessings be poured on everyone. This step makes you beautiful.
10. Use each interaction to be the best, most powerful version of yourself. Try to rise to the occasion. Be the most wonderful expression of you that you're capable of. This step makes you a conduit of God's love.
Read more: http://www.oprah.com/spirit/Spiritual-Development-and-Healing-Practices-from-Marianne-Williamson#ixzz1raQtDuDR
No comments:
Post a Comment