Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Birthday month: a work in progress

Had an amazing 42nd birthday. Blessed by a day with fellowship, crafting, good friends, lots of laughing, and great food and coffee. Once a month, we have craft day at our church, and it's been one of my guilty pleasures since I semi-retired last October. The ladies that I get to hang with are such amazing people, and it's just a refreshing, soul-feeding day!

Most of the ladies are there to quilt.

I am not a quilter.

I cannot sew.

There. I said it. I feel better just saying it out loud.

Don't judge.

For the last six months, the ladies have been joking about "converting" me. Turning me into a sewing quilter. And in all truth, I have always WANTED to quilt. I used to sew. Well, that may be an overstatement. I made two ugly pillows right after I got my sewing machine. Since then, it's not been threaded.

I know.

PLEASE don't judge.

Yesterday I asked a few questions - I really feel like I need to explore this way of expressing my creativity. I love the beauty of the PROCESS of quilting. the HISTORY.

I crave the ability to create something that tells a story. In such a beautiful way.

I vowed, in front of them all, that I have officially added a goal to my 2012 list: I will learn to thread my machine. I will get to know my machine. I will learn to love my machine. (Not saying I will actually SEW anything in 2012.. don't go crazy.)

So, as we were leaving church yesterday, one of the ladies joked with me that I was simply "a work in progress". Meaning - they're not done with me yet. They'll get me quilting.

Funny thing is, "A work in progress" could be the name of this blog. So I loved her reference. And I love that they've not given up on me yet. Who knows? There is a piece in this quilt-like life set aside for sewing. I just haven't conquered it yet.

But no one is giving up on me.

Because I'm just a work in progress.



2 comments:

Gretchen said...

I guess we are just going to have to start calling you "WIP" - or if it will be a slow work - "SWIP" .... I love it!

on changing my life said...

WIP it is! :-)