Thursday, May 31, 2012

Join me for my morning ritual....

Good morning! Time to start the day! My new "domestic" morning ritual is my morning walk around the yard and gardens, coffee in hand, to check out the progress, pull a few weeds here and there, and water as needed. It is a wonderful way to start the day. I'd love to have you come along!

It all starts with a good cup of joe. My joe of choice for the last few years is a blend of coffee and chicory. Having found it in New Orleans on our first trip, I was instantly hooked. Much stronger flavor, a slight bitterness, it's actually hard for me to drink regular coffee now. So first thing, I brew my pot of chicory and grab a mug. This is my favorite mug, a gift from a dear friend, it reminds me of a beautiful paper crafting design. I don't always use creamer, but it is a treat once in awhile. So grab a fresh cup, it's time to get started!

Let's head out the front door, where most of my containers are that need watering. I love having time to watch each of the plants progress through the spring. I've been taking a ton of pictures, so that I can see the garden at all stages, and determine this fall what to add. This is the front as it is right now, the end of May, 2012. This brick/pea gravel border is only a couple of years old, and the plants are just starting to really become substantial.

I fill my gardens and borders with things that I love. Many received from friends, some from thrift sales, and others just junk I've gotten here and there, but I love it all. When something turns into something I don't love, it gets removed. My favorite thing to do - in my garden as in my house - is fill it with things (in this case plants) that remind me of my childhood. Plants from either my mother's home, or my grandmother's. I don't spend a lot of money on my gardens, but have through the years found so many of them! I hope that you enjoy the tour as much as I do.....

the Clematis, a gift for mother's day years ago...
the double planter, the last birthday gift from my mother

found this adorable cement feeder at a thrift sale.. don't use it as a feeder
 (too low, dangerous for the birds), but LOVE what it adds to the steps.

my newest addition, a columbine, a gift from a dear friend
she had no idea that my grandmother had columbine by HER door
so now I have it by mine

this pink lupine was a gift from another friend
it has since reseeded several times, and I now enjoy them in multiple borders
my mother had lots of peonies in front of our home, so they are very dear to me
this particular peony was a gift from a dear dear friend, and the first to open this year
isn't it beautiful?


Well, these are just a few of my favorites, but I hope you enjoyed the walk. Too many to put all of my beautiful things on here. But maybe we'll take another walk, on another day. Thanks for coming along! Go grab another cup of coffee!  

No comments: