One: for the first 18 years of my life, I was called Missy, not my proper name of Melissa. The minute I went to college, I of course changed it, using Melissa. (Don't we all do that? Shed our childhood....branch out... become our own person?) But since losing my mom in 2006, I've found myself calling MYSELF Missy. So I guess I'm coming full circle. I've realized that Missy is still part of me. and always will be. And I LOVE that.
Two: we are all on a journey through this life, learning, changing, adapting, and living in this amazing world together. This is the story of my journey, as I learn and grow, in my Faith, in love, in relationships, in everything.
But I've also come to realize that we are ALL on journies, and each of us a unique one. And who is it of me, or anyone, to judge what someone else is or isn't doing, when we are not taking their journey? It can be so easy to pass judgement, without any frame of understanding.
God teaches us not to judge. It is everywhere in the Bible. He teaches us to forgive. Best said, I think, in Luke:
"Do not judge, and you will not be judged.
Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned.
Forgive, and you will be forgiven."
Luke 6:37
How many times have we made an assumption on someone's action without knowing the entire story? And how many times has the same been done to us? While I may have gotten up, lounged in my pajamas, enjoyed my coffee and garden walk, and relaxed with the morning news this morning, someone else could have been dealing with terrible family issues, disciplining difficult children, or worse yet, handling horrible family news. So their actions throughout the day may reflect just that. And on the flip side, I am recovering from an extended illness and car accident, and others that do not know that may not understand why I am or am not doing certain things.
We don't know who's hurting, or may be dealing with physical, emotional, or financial issues. We don't know what else other people have going on in their lives that may be complicating things. So we all really need to think before we speak, and remember to be compassionate for others.
We don't know who's hurting, or may be dealing with physical, emotional, or financial issues. We don't know what else other people have going on in their lives that may be complicating things. So we all really need to think before we speak, and remember to be compassionate for others.
For me, it's a very personal journey. When someone doesn't meet my expectations, I have to take time to understand their situation, or at the very least understand that I don't KNOW their situation. And then, I need to accept what happens, and forgive if I feel I need to forgive.
A friend posted this last night, and I love it, although it saddens me to think that she is hurting:
I am still learning, still taking this journey. There is SO much more to be learned.....
No comments:
Post a Comment