Thursday, May 3, 2012

Woman (+God) vs. Tree

Tuesday was one of those days when you KNOW that God has His hand on your shoulder, guiding you...

Driving home from a day of errands, I ended up behind someone driving OH SO SLOW. So I decided to take a completely out of the way detour, a road that has always been one of my favorites - over the bluff. A beautiful drive.

Just about to the bluff, I started to cough. I've been sick for about 6 weeks with this cough, and have had many episodes where the coughing causes me to pass out. Feeling this, I immediately started to slow.

The next thing I knew, I was staring at trees. It took me a few seconds to get my bearing, to understand what had happened. I was sitting in the middle of some trees, having gone off the road. I immediately began to cry.. I still really didn't understand the scope of what had happened. But I knew enough to find my cell phone and call for help.

Being in the middle of nowhere, my call woudln't go through. So I texted a friend, explaining that i needed help, and that I couldn't get through to 911. No sooner had I done that, when the emergency dispatch called me. I tried to explain what had happened, and she sent help.

I found my glasses, only to realize I was trapped in the front - trees blocking both doors. I put the seat back, climbed over, and got out the back door. As soon as I was out, a man driving by stopped to help. He waited with me for a bit - but I was actually ok - and I sent him on his way.

911 then called back. They couldn't find me. Was I really far off the road? No - they just need to keep going south. In the meantime, many others stopped to help me, but we waived them on. Help was on the way.

Once the EMTs got there, they stablized my neck and started asking tons of questions. Have to say - every one of the EMTs, the State trooper, and all of the ER staff were really amazing. I get why people put those letters of thanks in the paper. After a few hours in the ER, a CT scan, xrays, and lots of poking and prodding, the prognosis was ridiculously good. One broken rib, a contusionon my sternum, and lots of bruises and abrasions. That is it. I was so lucky.

After getting my meds, and cleaning out the car, my hubby and I drove past the accident scene. Seeing how small a space my car went through, missing the two larger trees, scared me. But also reassured me. There is no way that without God's hand on the steering wheel I could have come out so unharmed. The bark of the tree on the right side was ripped off. The tree on the left ripped off the mirror. I did hit both trees - the front right of the car was demolished - and the left side is smashed in, along with the driver's window. But I didn't hit head on. I basically slid in between the two.

Why did I leave the busy highway - and take the back road. (Think of crossing in front of traffic.... would have been devastating). And how did my car nestle itself in between the big trees? Only the hand of God. He must have greater things for me to do here on earth. He's not ready for me yet. And I am so thankful.

God is great.

2 comments:

Lori said...

Oh my, Melissa--I am SOOOOO sorry abut your accident--but VERY THANKFUL that you are ok! God surely had you in His hands and His angels keeping charge over you. With all the commotion with my sweet dear departed uncle, I missed anything that you may have posted about the accident---and, knowing you with not wanting to draw attention to yourself, you may not have specifically mentioned it.... I hope you are comfortable and 'on the mend'. I imagine coughing and broken ribs is NOT a good combo:( I'll keep you and your family in my prayers. AND--please remember to ASK if there's ANYTHING I may assist you with--even though it's not in your nature and hard for you to do:)

(After living the experience with my uncle this past week, this phrase, "that's what we do!" made me smile....With me being the closest in proximity to my uncle, I was the only niece with him in the ER upon his arrival and assessment; in the ICU when he passed, his 84 yr old sister and another cousin had also joined me. Working behind the scenes, trying to alleviate my auntie's sorrow and also to spare her any more grief, things were attended to that my (younger) feet and hands could do... When my oldest sister (Mrs. B!) came to the funeral home, she thanked me for being there with Uncle Willie--Auntie Doris--running here, running there....I replied....'no need for thanks--I was there and was more than happy to assist in any way..." ....to which she added...'cuz that's just what we do!"..... And, it is! So, just as you do what you do for others, LET US do for YOU what you'd do for US!! :)
Hugs and love,
Lori

on changing my life said...

Thanks Lori! Have a legion of people who can and will help, don't need too much, as Ken and William really do take care of me. :-)