So watching a morning show today, they were discussing how a family of four on food stamps ONLY gets 124$/week for food. I have to say, that I am a little shocked that they feel that is not adequate for a family that size.
When I was working, I probably spent upwards of 80-90$ a week, because I was buying a few more convenience foods, and I think we wasted more because I wasn't as organized. And that was with two teenagers at home.
Now that I am a stay-at-home mother, and only have the teenage son at home, I spend anywhere from 40-50$ per week. And we eat WELL. I am a foodie, so we are eating full meals at night, which also provide leftovers for lunches. I am cooking from scratch, which makes a huge difference, something I can do because I am at home.
I shop carefully. I plan menus based on weekly specials. I buy what is on sale, and that determines my meals. When staples are on sale, I stock up, so I don't have to pay full price when I need them. I cook enough at meals to pack lunches the next day, saving us additional money. I clip coupons for our basics.
I couldn't imagine what amount of groceries 124$ would buy for a week. This week I did major stock up shopping, and only spent 140$. And that included two large bags of frozen chicken breasts, 4 bottles of salad dressing, etc., the staples that were on sale. It also included food for my son's birthday party (an 8$ industrial can of nacho cheese, 6$ industrial salsa, five bags of chips, two packages of oreos, and three 12 packs of soda.) Next week's shopping will consist of milk, eggs, and produce, maybe 15 or 20$. And probably the week after as well, with all that I purchased this week.
So I am going to spend close attention to what I spend. Make sure I'm not completely off base.
Weekly, we go through:
Milk - 3 gallons - 12$ (we don't got through quite 3... more like 2.5..)
Eggs - 1 dozen - $1.49
I will start to track costs per meal, etc., just to see. I'm really curious.
Tonight's dinner is 1.51 per person - so a family of four - would be about 6$ - for an amazing meal of meatball sub bake and salad. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment