Sunday, May 6, 2012

A lesson on humility

I am not good at being "needy". I don't like having to ask for favors. I don't like being dependent on others. So being sick for 6 weeks, then having the car accident, has been a trial. One I am sure God has intended for me for a long time.

Today I had to find a ride for my son and I to our dentist appointment. I had lined up a couple of options without specific times, and when the times came up, it just didn't work. So I sucked it up, and put out an SOS - asking for a chauffeur. I instantly had three options. Just like that, three friends offering up their services to take my son and I. Without question.

When talking with the first responder, setting up times, I mentioned that asking for help is hard for me, and she simply answered, "It's hard to ask, but it shouldn't be."

What a perfect way to put it. We are all so willing to help others, and scoff at thank-you's. It's what we do. We take care of each other. So why is it so hard to be on the OTHER side of the questioning? Why does it feel awkward to ask for help back?

I know my friends. I know they would do anything for me, and I for them. And yet I feel strange asking. She said it perfectly. "It's hard to ask, but it shouldn't be."

We all need to learn that it's OK to lean on each other. We are meant to give AND take. That's how it works. That's how we roll.

So I learned a great lesson today, from an amazing lady, who tomorrow, will be my chauffeur. Can't wait to spend the time with her. Don't forget people.

"It's hard to ask, but it shouldn't be!"

No comments: