Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Out of touch...

How come life gets SO busy?

I think back to growing up - with older parents - in the 70s. We spent time visiting people. Relatives, friends, and neighbors. We visited - sat, caught up, and often enjoyed coffee and treats. There were days when we drove long distances to visit others, and the same of them. Being the only child still at home during those days, I spent a lot of time visiting.

I miss those days.

Visiting is a lost art.

I hear (and have said myself) "we just don't have time". I hear people talking about their busy schedules. We have lost time to connect. To be. And it's not good!

Today I realized that it's been many weeks since I had any contact with a dear friend. Someone who I used to see every day. And we'd been so good at staying in touch, every couple of weeks, and now it's been over a month. Over a month, and neither one of us with the time to chat. Not even a text! While to me, texting is not the same, it is better than nothing. So I sent her an email - a request to get together - only to get her out of office. Ironic, yes?

How do we let our schedules get over-booked, filled months in advance? Leaving no time for impromptu visits, for afternoon drives, for taking time to reminisce and enjoy the company of those we love? Why has it become the norm that a family is involved in so many activities that there is no place for visiting?

This past weekend, I was lucky enough to have a girlfriend for the weekend. A last minute decision to get together, and with no real agenda, she was able to come for the entire weekend! We relaxed. Stayed up late, talking and drinking wine. Shopped. Scrapbooked. It was the most amazing time with her. A true chance to visit, catch up, and just hang out.

I think that our society would be better if we would redefine the importance of visiting. Of face-to-face contact. Of the importance of those relationships in our lives. We have put such importance on being "busy", that we've lost the art of connecting. And staying connected.

This is something I am very passionate about. I have missed out on opportunities to spend time with some of my elderly relatives because I simply "didn't have time" and now it's too late. I can't continue to let that happen. It's time- to bring back the art of visiting. To bring people back into my life!

2 comments:

Kate said...

Well said Missy....as always!

Gretchen said...

Amen!