It's been a long winter.
Understand, I am one of those people who really, truly enjoys the seasons. I love living in Wisconsin, so that I get to have a full four season year.
But it's been a LONG winter.
The snow started to stick in early December, and it hasn't stopped since. For months, we had snow every week. Now, almost April, and we still have a DEEP layer of snow to melt. Multiple FEET of snow in places.
Last Thursday was the first day when it was truly warming up. Temperatures started getting to the upper twenties, and you could tell. People were out walking, chipping ice off driveways as it softened, and just on the move. It was good to get out of the house.
I stepped out onto the deck that day, and realized that in the protected area behind the house, with the sun shining, it was BEAUTIFUL out there. Granted, there was about a foot of snow on most of the deck, shoveled only in the path to the wood pile. But I just stood there. breathing.
It was amazing how the fresh air felt in my lungs. After ten minutes breathing in the fresh cold (25 degree) air, I went back inside. Almost immediately, I felt like I was suffocating. I wasn't, obviously, but I craved that fresh air. I didn't realize until that moment, just how long we'd been sequestered in our homes.
We don't stay inside ALL winter. But for four months, it's limited time outside. And it's been a cold, blustery winter this year.
That day I must have gone outside a dozen times. I long for the first day when I can open the windows in the house to air it out. (I wait until it's in the 40s for that.) Today, I'm heading out (in the 30s today) to clean up the wood pile, and just breathe.
Spring means a lot for everyone. Green grass, budding trees, flowers, and sunshine. For me it means fresh air, hanging laundry out, and getting dirty.
Bring on the spring.
2 comments:
Just wanted to remind you how much I enjoy reading your blog. I've always loved the way your write - Just thought you should know!
Thank you. :-) I love having an audience to write to!
Post a Comment