Thursday, March 7, 2013

A peek at our future....

Tonight was the annual Learning Fair at our elementary school. Now teaching, I am connected to so many of the kids, and could not wait to see the projects I'd been hearing so much about. And I was NOT disappointed.

It is awesome to look at each project. The passion the children have for the subject. The work they've put into the project. The knowledge they SHARE about the project. It was absolutely awesome.

I learned SO much tonight. I learned how to tell if my lemon juice and olive oil are 100% products. I learned how very little a farmer's share is in the products that we purchase at the grocery store. I learned that Ice Worms feed off of snow algae. I got to taste a wonderful red juice that TASTED like apple, but my mind tried tricking me into thinking diffrerently because of the color.

Tonight I found out that painting rocks is a way of recording a pictorial history. And I learned how electromagnetic energy can be harnassed. I found out how difficult it is to identify an animal from it's skull. And that salt added to water can change the density of the water enough to float an egg.

And I saw so many cool things. Homemade lava lamps (a first for me!), a volcano (what "science" fair is complete without one!), "tie dye" art using sharpies and alcohol, lots of plants and animals... so many great things.

As a mom and now as a sub teacher, it was great to talk to all of the kids. I loved hearing them explain their projects, telling me how they did it, and what they found out. It's that little glimpse at our future - of these children who still get excited about learning new things. And who are excited to SHARE that passion and knowledge. It was a good, good thing.

And the Learning Fair was only the half! The other half was the art show - FULL of amazing talent. From rubber printing, to ceramic glazed leaves, to various self portraits and sketches. It was a myriad of multi-media, and great talent.

It is so neat that the school shares this night with the community. Not having children at this level anymore, I forget about the fun.

No comments: