The summer harvest is in full swing, and we have been BUSY!
I was able to make 7 jars of plum jelly, a first for me, thanks to the generosity of a dear friend with a LOADED plum tree. I brought the sugar and pectin, and together we made 13 jars of jelly. Jelly that is the most beautiful hue of pink, and tastes so yummy.
This morning we headed to town for hair cuts, and I had the boys drop me off at the big farmer's market. It was so nice to walk and browse the entire thing... knowing what I either didn't grow, or wasn't having luck with this year. I found some beautiful green peppers, cucumbers, kale, and a new variety of apple - zestra. Looking forward to trying that one. Quite the charismatic salesman selling them... told me I'd be sorry I only bought a small bag. :)
When we got home, I headed out to play in the gardens a bit, enjoying the cooler temperature today and the disappearing humidity. I weeded the herb garden, watered the flowers, and then headed out for the daily harvest. I found a beautiful eggplant, some zucchinis, and a tomato to bring in and enjoy. Walking back to the house, I passed the raspberries and the grapes - which are LOADED this year - and will soon be ready for a juice day. I just love seeing everything producing, getting ready to harvest. There is great satisfaction in nurturing the gardens....
Tonight I tried kale chips for the first time. And they're not too bad. A good way to introduce a different vegetable into our diets. The boys didn't like them too much though, so I have a bit of kale to eat!
Dinner was eggplant parmesan. And oh, it was wonderful. Nothing like vegetables fresh picked and turned into dinner within hours. And thinking of the grapes, I opened one of the last quarts of juice from 2012 to enjoy with dinner. Sitting there enjoying my dinner, I was so proud - of the vegetables and fruits I'd grown and/or canned for my family. It's so satisfying knowing that I am providing for us.
1 comment:
You are going to let me help with the grapes!right?
Post a Comment