Wednesday, September 4, 2013

A mom's first day of school -

The first day of school means so much. Pictures flooded facebook these last few days with pictures of all the kids ready for that first day, the new adventures, seeing their friends again after a long summer...

I wonder what a mom's first day of school picture would look like? Why didn't I post mine? What would they look like? Pink fuzzy slippers and robes? Hair in curlers?

In my case, it includes a pot of coffee. A full pot of hot, strong coffee. In my favorite mug. Lounging in my favorite sweats. Morning news was on - NO SPORT CENTER! And the house was quiet. Just me, my coffee, my laptop, and the news. And it was bliss.

As the morning wore on, I received a phone call from a friend - also enjoying the quiet - and we chatted for a half hour about the new school year, etc. Later in the morning, another SAHM stopped by to chat. And in the late morning, yet another phone chat with another SAHM who for the first year, has no one at home (after 12 years of home schooling!) It was wonderful to talk with the other moms, about our plans - of deep cleaning, purging, and getting our homes back in order after the kids havoc of summer.

My son made it home around 6 from school and football, having had a great day. Immediately, the dynamic of the house changed, with his chatter of classes, friends, assemblies, and new teachers. And it was a welcome change.

While I love the quiet of the days - I love even more the return of his energy to the house when he comes home to tell me of his day.

No comments: