Tuesday, September 17, 2013

a challenging schedule ahead!

My hubby is heading into 4 back to back 14 hour days at work. Overnights. So I need to have breakfast prepared when he gets home in the morning, something to eat for dinner around 5 before he heads back in, and something for him to take with him for his "lunch" at work. In addition, I am teaching, so I need lunches to take. And this week I provide bread for the football dinner, and next week the main course (lasagna) AND the bread. To say the least, I realized tonight I needed to do some planning to make sure the fridge was full and I have a plan in place!

My first go-to was my freezer, where I had pulled pork, minestrone, and Salisbury meatballs I could pull to use. Then, I started to play around on Pinterest, specifically on my "food to try" board, but was just not inspired by anything. I'm in a mood of trying to use what I have in my pantry, and most of those recipes have all kinds of crazy ingredients...

So I turned to my next source. I posted to all my facebook peeps - for their favs - for the simple ones - with simple ingredients. And my friends came through! I have written menus for the next two weeks, as well as a grocery list, and planned out each day what needs to be done when. I'm confident that I will not only provide for my family, but have fun trying some new recipes, along with some favorites, all on my budget.

To toast being prepared for the crazy weeks ahead, I made a decaf, non-fat, salted caramel mocha latte. (YUMMO). Cheers to an organizing night!

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

Well - being that busy will certainly keep you out of trouble!