Saturday, June 22, 2013

The downs in between the ups....

I try hard to stay positive, but sometimes things happen that are just a little crummy. My son was playing in a baseball tournament today - and in game two, his last at-bat, an inside pitch hit his left hand. He instantly took the glove off - but put it back on, and continued through the at-bat. Once the game was over, and I got to see it, I knew it wasn't good. Already very swollen and black, we decided a trip to the ER was in order.

His girlfriend, bless her heart, with me all day at the tourney, was wonderful to have along. And she stayed with us the entire time. X-rays showed a break in the bone on the left side of his left hand. A temporary cast was put on, with a follow-up in a week with the orthopedic doctor, and a more permanent cast - which will remain for 4-6 weeks.

The break was small, and even, and should require no surgery if everything continues smoothly. He is very lucky. But it doesn't make it any easier for me to handle, as mom. I am sad that he is in pain. I am sad that his entire summer is messed up - from weight training to basketball league to legion baseball. I want to be positive, and I am for him, but inside I feel crabby that this happened to him. And while I know it could have been so much worse, it still makes me mad that it happened to him.

His girlfriend stayed here for awhile tonight, and we all went out to the movie together. He's a complete trooper - not asking for hardly anything, taking care of himself, and NO complaining. He is already talking about what he CAN still do this summer for football training and basketball. That's my boy. So proud of him.

No comments: