Sunday at church, one of the ladies had her beautiful granddaughter with her. Haven't seen the little girl since Christmas, when she was only a couple weeks old, and it was a joy to see her. She sang along with the hymns, smiling at everyone.
It reminded me of a saying I saw on a building in Omaha - the birth of every baby is a sign that God is not yet done with us.
I have always loved that saying, and think it each time a baby is born. But especially with this little girl.
This little girl has two dads. Her dads, committed to each other, adopted her. She has the most amazing, loving family you could imagine. A wonderful fate. Or is it?
I have two couple friends who are in same-sex relationships, that have adopted. And in both cases, they are the most amazing families. They have SO much love and committment, it's both a Blessing and a lesson. We should ALL be that devoted.
What frustrates me, is that though both of these beautiful, and amazing little girls, have fantastic families, and will never want for any affection, love, help, or whatever they may need in life, society is not ready for them. And will this adversely affect them?
I am a strong Christian, and I know that there are Biblical passages against same-sex marriage, or at least in interpretation. There are many Christians who are VERY vocal against it. I just am not one of them. I see the love that these two families have, and cannot for the life of me think that God is upset with them. Jesus preached agape love. He didn't judge, not the Canaanite woman who needed help for her daughter, not anyone. So how can we, as Christians, judge anyone?
It really upsets me that in a society filled with hate, crime, violence, war, and all the other bad, we don't realize the need to break down the walls. The walls should be between good and bad, not between different sexual orientations, or different religious beliefs, or different skin colors, or... If we spent half of the energy wasted on discussing, protesting, or fighting about those types of differences on creating unions, and helping people in need, what a great world this would be. If we spent more time worrying about and taking care of others BEFORE ourselves, think of what we could do.
I often wonder if we are nearing the end of the world. Not in a defeatest mentality, but in the fact that the true good in people, the love between DIFFERENT people, is missing. It saddens and scares me that hating others is so easy for so many, but helping and caring for others is something people "don't have time for". Our world is in a downward spiral. And until we get back on track, focusing on what is truly important - love, family, caring for others - it's not going to change.
Why should two beautiful girls, being raised by loving parents, EVER have to worry about being judged. But I have a gut feeling they will. AND THAT IS WRONG.
No comments:
Post a Comment