Wednesday, October 31, 2007

people watching

I was struck by several things yesterday - that I want to get down.

The first was, how do I say it? Quirky. A great end to a long day at work.

I was driving across town at 5 last night, on my way to the tire place. Stopped behind a huge line of traffic stopped for a train. As I'm listening to my music, I glance to my left, to the car next to me. In the back seat, all I can see, is an adorable little girl (guessing 9 months) peering over the edge of her carseat at me. And when I smiled at her, she broke into laughter. That great, only a baby can make, giggle. We were playing peek-a-boo, and I didn't realize it. This continued on for at least 5 minutes while we waited, and her face was just awesome. I could almost hear the giggle. Her dad kept turning around and smiling at her, oblivious to the fact that I was the reason she was laughing. If we all only felt that way about waiting for the train....

Not long after the train passed, I got behind a car of teenagers. While the first incident renewed my faith in people, this incident did just the other. Not only were they swerving in the lane, obviously paying more attention to the horsing around in the vehicle than the cars around them, but they were tossing out their trash as they ate! I cannot tell you the last time I saw someone litter! I truly thought that most people understood that littering is WRONG. But not these kids. They were so focused on being "it" that the rest of the world didn't matter. First one hamburger wrapper from the right side window, then one from the driver. And more after that. I was absolutely appalled that these young adults, the future of this world, would have so little respect for it (the world) and those of us living in it!

No comments: