Monday, October 15, 2007

family...

Had a family wedding reception this weekend. My nephew, and Godson, was married in June and had an outdoor, casual, reception, at his new home on Saturday. Beautiful place in the country, bon fire, trees, beautiful setting.

I'm amazed and ashamed at the disfunctionality (is that a word?) of my family at times. Sister A, mother of the groom, was enebriated when we arrived at 4 pm, an hour after the event had begun. Sister B, the eldest, completely took charge, giving tours of the house, etc., even though it was her first time there as well. Sister C, late like I was, simply stood back and took it all in with me. Brother A, the eldest boy, didn't even speak to me. Brother B was as drunk as Sister A, but in his stupor, just got touchy-feely over a different nephew's girlfriend. And I'm not making this up.

Mother of the groom left the party before 7pm, so drunk she had to go home. The drunken brother left even earlier, to go to the bar with his friends. Honestly, I was ashamed for us all. And I felt bad for the bride and groom. Hopefully those of us that remained salvaged something for the day.

I'm still amazed at how alcohol can control a person's life. And not in a good way. I'm very Blessed to be able to partake, or not, rather than be controlled by it.

No comments: