Being from Wisconsin, the super bowl wasn't as meaningful this year, with our Packers not playing. But my long time readers know that New Orleans is VERY close to our hearts. We have dear friends there, and have visited multiple times, and love the cuisine. With the super bowl in NOLA this year, it was my chance to put on a true NOLA feast!
About a week ago, I started building the menu, realizing that if it was only going to be my husband and I, all of the hard work would be wasted. So we invited a few friends over, and preparations began.
I hit more than one road block, as I started looking for some of the ingredients. Note to self: on my next trip to New Orleans I need to hit up a grocery store and stock up on the local ingredients! Luckily, I'm enough of a cook, that I can improvise. I knew what flavors I needed, and wanted, and I did the best with what I could find!
I started the day making fresh beignets for my family and a few friends who stopped by. We enjoyed the fresh and hot fried pillows of dough dredged in powdered sugar over cups of chicory. The only thing missing was the noise and bustle of the people going past the Cafe du Monde patio.... Such a yummy treat - and making them with my son made it all the better. He loves to cook and bake, so when my friends arrived, he allowed me to sit and chat with them, while he continued frying them and replenishing our supply. What a sweetheart. A truly great way to start our day!
While the beignets were frying, I started making some baguettes. One of my favorite sandwiches from the south is the Muffaletta. I had seen a recipe for a muffaletta dip, a deconstructed sandwich, and loved the idea. Rather than follow the recipe though, I did my own version - using what I had available to me. I created a muffaletta bruschetta - served on fresh baked baguettes. And it turned out amazing!
I couldn't have a NOLA feast without a poboy sandwich. The traditional sandwich of New Orleans, steeped in history, I tried to make our southern friends proud. I mixed up a spicy remoulade, fried up some breaded tilapia fillets, and served up a sandwich bar for people to make their own.
Jambalya was also on my mind, a simple version though - with only andouille, rather than three proteins. By the time this was cooking, the house was smelling amazing...
Of course there could be no other finale than a traditional King Cake. While making the yeast dough for the cake, I was shocked that it took over 6 cups of flour. If I'd read the recipe, I would have seen that it made TWO cakes. So, my dear son was able to take a King Cake to the party he was attending also. All good! The cake turned out perfectly - light, tender, and wonderful. Although I did make one huge mistake - in that I forgot to put the baby in the cake. Frustrating, to say the least, but it tasted the same. Just no fun in finding who would find the baby!
With everything baked, I dug out our stash of beads from Mardi Gras, and decorated the house. We had beads hanging from the ceiling fan, decorating the tables, and of course, decorating our guests.
Then I mixed up a pitcher of hurricanes to chill, and we were ready for the big game.
We had three friends over to enjoy the feast, and watch the game, and it was a perfect night. We enjoyed great food and drink, and laughed until we cried. We had a blast watching the game (and of course the commercials).
I love cooking, and more than that, just love having over the people that mean so much to me in this world. No better way to end the week than combining the two - and having a wonderful dinner party. Life is good!
No comments:
Post a Comment