I love days at home when I can do some cooking. Some....
what is in the fridge/freezer cooking!
Today was one of those days. I had come across a recipe on All Recipes, thanks to their email newslette,r for a hot chicken pocket. Had one half of a large chicken breast to use up, a can of crescent rolls in the fridge, and cream cheese to boot.
The link to the yummy, husband approved recipe:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Savory-Crescent-Chicken/Detail.aspx?ms=1&prop25=106090773&prop26=DailyDish&prop27=2013-02-17&prop28=Feature_1&prop29=Title&me=1#
Cooked up the breast (froze the stock for later), and then took the whopping 15 minutes to put the dinner together. Imagine how great this is for leftover chicken, after boiling for stock, or roasting! Paired it with some cooked carrots and mashed potatoes, and I was able to feed my family of 3 for about 5$.
The breakdown:
Half a breast 2.00 (on sale for 1.99/lb last week, I bought several and froze them individually)
crescent rolls 1.50 (only buy on sale)
cream cheese .75
carrots/potatoes .50
incidentals - negligable (tablespoon of butter, tablespoon minced onion, salt, pepper)
I did not use the crouton topping, and didn't miss it - will not use it next time either!
This was a balanced, complete meal - for only 4.75. Granted, I get potatoes and onions from the grower very cheap, but even with buying those at grocery store prices, you are adding VERY little. This made four chicken bundles - so it would technically feed a family of four. We got one for leftovers. Also, the half breast was actually too much for the recipe - so I have enough chicken salad for someone's lunch tomorrow!
Love finding a super yummy meal like this, with a chance to use leftovers, just what you have in the fridge, and create a home cooked meal for the family. ON A BUDGET.
No comments:
Post a Comment