Thursday, June 7, 2012

big parent moments...

I have been absent from writing, but only because there is so much going on. I choose first to write about some amazing things happening in my son's life.

As a freshman, he plays JV baseball. At the end of the season, the coach offered to the JV players that if they would stay and help with practices, they could ride the bus to the playoff games with the team. My son loves the game, and he decided immediately to do just that. He was the only one for those first two regional games, so the coach actually had him suit up and join the roster. Not to play, but to be in the dugout, supporting the team. We were thrilled.

Then. They won both regionals. All of a sudden, my dear young son is in pictures, and is part of a regional championship team! Amazing! And it's on to sectionals!

By the time sectionals arrived, one other freshman was able to help out. And both were told to suit up, to join two other freshmen added as pitching back up on the roster for the playoffs. At sectionals, I cried as they called him name for the opening. And after winning BOTH the semifinal and final games, cried even more when they won the sectional title, meaning the next step was state! My baby - part of a state bound baseball team! I cried when he got his medal too. It just all became too surreal.

So now we are busy planning for the state tournament. Had his head shot taken today - the one they use for the big board. And the itinerary has arrived - they are staying three days - watching other games. And we parents are making yard signs. It's just been an incredible week for this team, this school, and this little town.

Lots going on in the next week - being announced at a JH tourney, practices, and then off to Appleton. I am so excited for him. Even though he won't play, he is getting the experience of a lifetime thanks to that coach. And as a parent, it is one of the highs myself.

I'll update you all after the tourney. Go Panthers!~

No comments: