Sunday, June 3, 2012

a family tradition...the next generation

I am heavy into preparation for what could turn out to be my favorite "vacation" of the summer. I absolutely cannot wait. Just thinking about it makes me cry happy tears. What could it POSSIBLY be, you ask? Let me tell you the story....

Growing up, I was the youngest of 6, younger than the last before me by over 9 years. I was actually closer to two of my neices, one my age, one a few years younger, than I was to my sisters. Every summer, each of the neices (sisters) would spend a week at my house, hanging out. Sometimes they got rides from their parents, sometimes we picked them up (90 miles away), sometimes they even rode the Greyhound bus. And those weeks were so much fun. Being so much younger than my sibings, those weeks were the only times that I had built in playmates at my house!

This year at our family Christmas, we were talking about these weeks, and the daughters of those nieces both got very excited, wondering if they could spend time at "aunt missy's" this summer? And so, the idea was born, and now, it is only four days away. And I cannot wait.

We are going to start out by baking birthday cupcakes for my daughter, who we are going to visit on Friday. Friday will be a travel day, and then Saturday and Sunday - crafts, baking, and SPA! It's been so long since I had little girls running around the house, chatting, and giggling. And I am so looking forward to it. I love these little girls (and their mamas!) with all my heart, and cannot wait to spend some seriously quality time with them. I really hope that sharing a little snipet of my life with them will bring us even closer.

So preparations continue! Pulling together supplies for various craft projects. Pulling together ingredients for our baking. Surfing pinterest... It's going to be a great week. I cannot wait!

1 comment:

Merri said...

Enjoy your week with the girls! Won't be long and you'll be here for the CWS. WOOT!