Monday, August 19, 2013

Just visiting

Wow, if there are two words to describe my summer, it's "just visiting".

Those of you who have followed me for awhile may remember a past post about the lost art of visiting. How we've lost the face-to-face contact in today's too-busy world.

The older I get, the more important it is to me to actually take time to see the people that mean the most to me. And this summer, I've had MANY chances to do just that.

Earlier this summer, I had a chance to visit with high school friends, and then college friends, and then some extended family, and then our former Pastor and his wife. July was a whirlwind month of weekend travels...

This weekend, I was both on the receiving end of visitors, as well as the giving end!

Every year, a dear friend and her mom come to visit for a long weekend, during which we do a little exploring. It's always a ridiculously fun weekend, including lots of coffee and laughter. This year was no different. It's just so nice to slow down our lives enough to "hang out".

to visit

While they were here, we headed north, to visit a store owned by a friend from high school. A friend who I have not seen in 26 years. It was wonderful to walk in the door and see her smiling face, virtually unchanged after all of these years, and see that recognition. We had a wonderful time catching up - the "fast forward" version of our lives, embracing how life got us to the amazing places we are now, even if not the path we had planned originally.

I love the feeling after leaving a visit like that. The feeling that even after 26 years, it's so easy to catch up. And I very much look forward to seeing her again, on a planned visit - lunch, etc.

So as summer comes near its end, I have two more sets of visitors coming, and one more trip of my own. I might say it's been one of the best summers in a long time. I'm glad to have reconnected, to enjoyed family and friends.

Take some advice from a wise old woman. Find the time. Slow down life. Go visiting.

No comments: