Thursday, August 1, 2013

What a crazy crazy day!

What a crazy, crazy day! As the second batch of Grandma's banana bread goes in the oven, at the crack of 11:00 pm, I realized how quickly this day took a turn!

I started the morning enjoying the BEAUTIFUL weather (below normal for this time of year, we've been Blessed with temperatures in the low 70s!) out in my "mom" garden. I was loving the relaxed morning, when I realized that I had to make several baguettes for the student trip tomorrow.

Late morning, I started making bread - 4 batches to be exact. My baguette recipe is a quick one, but making 8 loaves is still time consuming, and much of it hands-on. So while I was baking, I tried to stay ahead of making lunch for the guys, and cleaning the house.

Before I knew it, it was after 2, and time to get ready to head to town for appointments. After the dentist, the bank, the drugstore, and the grocery store, it was 5:30pm before we hit the driveway back home! Not enough time to make and eat dinner before our meeting at school, it was cheddar hot dogs for the boys to hold them over until a very late dinner.

Do you see how this is snowballing?????

I was able to prep dinner before the sports meeting at school. I had intended on lasagna (at the request of my dear husband), only to find I had no lasagna noodles. So baked penne lasagna it was! At 6:45 pm, dinner was prepped, a second one in the freezer, and we headed out the door.

We returned from school at 8:15pm. I turned the oven on as I walked in the door, dropped my purse, and got dinner in the oven.

Who eats at 9:30 at night????

I decided I had better get all the dishes from the bread baking and dinner prep done during my hour of cooking time. During that hour, I asked my son to pack for his school trip tomorrow, only to realize his swim trunks just went in the dryer. So no final packing tonight. I could finish the laundry while finishing up the kitchen.

It was at this point, at 9:00pm, that my darling son approached me.

"Soooo. Were you still going to be able to make some treats for the trip tomorrow?"

Bless his heart. I had forgotten that I promised him we'd make granola bars.

"Banana bread ok? I have a lot of bananas."

With his approval, I started making banana bread. But only after the Penne was out of the oven, and my husband's lunch was packed.

At an hour per batch, I had only planned on making the one loaf for him to take, but the smell was so good... And while he is on his school trip, I am staying with my niece. And it's Grandma's recipe. I have to make a loaf to take to her house.

Which is how we get to now. 11:15 pm, and the second batch is baking. One half of my mom garden weeded, 8 baguettes baked, 2 pans of Penne made (one frozen for future), 2 loaves of banana bread, and last minute laundry. One heck of a day.

It all started so innocently. Weeding the garden. So relaxed....

mmm. Just another day in paradise. ;)


No comments: