Friday, August 9, 2013

Farmer's Market Friday - eating well and buying local!

There is nothing more wonderful in the summer than taking a walk to the farmer's market, finding the yummy treasures for the week, and then heading home to start cooking and planning menus! I love the aspect of the farmer's market. The true farmer's market. Our town, only 800 people, has a farmer's market every Friday - and it's just a few of the local gardeners and farmers sharing their harvest. Pricing is VERY reasonable, and it's so good for all involved - for me, who can't grow everything (YET!), for the vendors - with a chance to sell their produce, and the environment - grown locally, transported minimally, never processed or packaged. You cannot lose.

This morning I was a little late - so I missed out on tomatoes (I learned my lesson - no waiting next week!), but was able to score a cucumber, beets, sweet corn, broccoli, and patty pan squash (a first for me!) Just enough for the three of us - to have some yummy fresh produce for the next couple of days! (And all of this cost me $4.30!)

 
I love cooking (you all know that) - so having such a great variety to work with will be wonderful. Yesterday I had a zucchini and summer squash from a friend - made an amazing stir fry with onion, garlic, red pepper, summer squash, zucchini, broccoli, and carrots. Today - I took one of the patty pan squash, some of the broccoli, and sauteed it with onion and garlic, added some cooked quinoa, and had a vegetarian lunch that was amazing.
 
Everyone knows that we are supposed to get a variety of colors of veggies every day. So here's my challenge to you. Check out a local farmer's market. Pick up something new. Google it, and enjoy. It helps you, the environment, and the farmers. How can we not!
 
Here's to summer! 

No comments: