Monday, November 26, 2007

I don't know where to start. I just returned from taking lunch at my dad's. Since mom died a year and a half ago, I visit him 3-4 times a week to make him something hot for lunch, check on his grocery status, and pick up the house. He doesn't really mess up much, and I have it down to a science. Spot mopping, cleaning the bathroom, laundry, dishes. That's about it.

My family - or should I qualify - PART of my family - spent Thanksgiving at Dad's house. I say PART because since Mom's death, the family has been split in two. I actually am sort of in the middle - only one brother doesn't speak to me. But there are two sisters on one side and a sister and brother on the other. I was not invited to anyone's house for Thanksgiving, which is fine - we planned on doing Ken's family - but not even a mention. The one brother had asked me to come in for coffee before heading to the inlaws. So we did, chatted with the family that was there. Not that I'd been invited to dinner. That was all planned between three of them. I heard through the grapevine that the other sisters both went to inlaws.


ANYWAY. (I digress.)

I stopped to pick up milk for Dad, figuring he would be low as I hadn't been there since Thursday morning. (A long time for me.) I walked in and the house was a pig stye. The floor looked like it hadn't been mopped in months even though on Wednesday, it was clean. THere was a huge platter of turkey (no one bothered to put it in tupperware, freeze any, or even take it off the bone) in the fridge. The garbage can was full. There were dirty aluminum pans in the recycling (they have to be washed first), and tons of empty wine and beer bottles.

OK. HERE IS WHY I AM ANGRY.
1) They come into this house, a house that I am taking care of for my dad, and trash the place. They don't help by cleaning it, they don't even leave it as clean as it was when they arrived. They leave a ton of work for ME to do, as if I'm not doing enough.
2) They have the gall to come in and drink around my dad - in HUGE quanities - even though he's a dry alcoholic, who ruined all of our early lives by being a mean drunk.

I cannot believe that this is MY family. That they can be this inconsiderate. I'm hurt, I'm angry, and honestly, I'm numb.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Oh Missy, I'm so sorry. I'm sending you a big hug! I love you!!!