Thursday, January 30, 2014

Tough moments in life.

I am the youngest of six children, and was deemed the Medical Power of Attorney (POA) for both of my parents many years ago. When my mother was in her final days, and the DNR (do not resuscitate) had to be issued, it tore me up. Even though  I knew it was what she wanted, it was so hard.

It's been almost 8 years since my mom passed, and  my dad is in a Veteran's home. He has severe dimentia, but other than that, doing just fine. And as his POA, I often receive papers in the mail to sign - papers about policy changes, medication changes, etc. Seeing the letters in my mail doesn't bother me at all.

But today I opened the letter, and it was an update to my dad's DNR order that I needed to sign. And while I know it is his wish. And I know that with his mind gone, it is the right thing to do, it is still something that tugs at my heart when I have to sign it. It makes me pause.

It's not easy taking care of parents. It's not easy making decisions for them.

Growing up isn't all it's cracked up to be.

1 comment:

Carmen said...

Prayers for you and Dad