Thursday, December 5, 2013

My wish for you...chicken noodle soup and fresh bread!

I have not blogged in so long! I have a big craft sale this weekend, so I've been up to my eyeballs in glitter, modge podge, yarn, and everything in between. And I have the house mostly decorated for Christmas, all that can go up before the sale (space constraints), and the Christmas card ordered! So I've been a busy little beaver!

I've been up and moving since 6 am, getting things done. I ended up with 2 1/2 days teaching this week, so today is my big day to get things finished. But I've taken a break for lunch, sitting down to homemade chicken noodle soup and fresh bread, and I was struck by it- this is one of the things that so many people are missing out on.

You have to remember, that I was not always the stay at home domestic... I worked in management for almost 20 years. So I was one of those missing out for many years.

Missing out on what? 

When I say homemade chicken noodle soup, I mean homemade. Yesterday I boiled a chicken with onion, carrot, and celery, for several hours to make the stock. The chicken was a locally grown chicken from the Amish. The bread? I made it fresh this morning. This is not something I did often, if at all, when I was working full time. But even with that, I DID enjoy foods like this growing up. Even though my mother worked full time after I was born, she was an amazing cook, and our food growing up was from scratch while I was young.

While chicken soup and bread is a simple lunch, to me, the fact that every bit of it is homemade, wholesome, good-for-you comfort food, that I prepared for my family, means so much. And then I wonder... how many people have never had the pleasure of something so simple and good? On a cold wintery day (-5 degrees F wind chill today!), to enjoy the taste of this amazing simple homemade lunch, to me, is a Blessing. And I wish for all of you that you get to enjoy the same, if not always, at some point. Because there is such comfort and goodness in it.




No comments: