My mom was an amazing cook and baker. She was always baking treats for some event or another, and I love to think that she is smiling down on me when I am in my baking frenzies.
As I've blogged before, I love to use things that were my mom's - like her plastic spoon, a recipe she had copied for me, etc.
Today I am making multiple varieties of Christmas cookies and candies for a friend. It's my first baking of the season and I am very excited! I need to make fudge, and spent way too much time on Pinterest and the web trying to find a recipe I wanted to try. When it hit me.
COOKBOOK
Try a cookbook!
I have tons of cookbooks - every type you can think of - and sometimes I just don't remember to pull them out. My mom had a lot of cookbooks too, and before she died, she had marked them for my daughter. So I don't have them, but I have been watching estate sales for certain ones that she used a lot. And one of those - the Dunn County Cookbook from 1972 - I've actually had for years. I found one at a garage sale for $1.00. The old adage "one man's junk is another treasure" couldn't be more true!
I remember mom using the DCC a lot at Christmas for candies and cookies, so today I pulled it out. While it's not her copy, it's the same to me, missing only her handwritten notes on recipes she tried. Time to start adding my own notes!
1 comment:
Very neat, good luck, wait you don't need it 'cause momma's watching :)
Post a Comment