Wednesday, December 11, 2013

T minus 14 days.

I taught today - 5th grade - one of my favorite ages to teach. Early in the morning, as I logged on, I noticed the date in the bottom right corner of the screen.

12/11/13

12/11? 12/25 is Christmas.. let's see... do the math, 25-11 = 14.

WHAT? Christmas is TWO WEEKS from today? You cannot be serious! I was so AHEAD. Why, just yesterday - at craft day - I was bragging as I started my Christmas cards, bragging about being so far ahead! Seriously!

I have too much to do in two weeks. It CAN'T be two weeks. I need more time!

I bake for friends. I have 72 dozen mixed cookies due on Sunday night. And another 40+ dozen the following week! I have great ideas for my presents - but HAVE NOT GONE SHOPPING YET! The tree? Well, it got put up yesterday, but is only half decorated!

There is no way I can get everything done in two weeks. No. We need more time.

In addition to the baking, shopping, tree decorating, card writing, wrapping, and everything else holiday, we have the youth group Christmas party at our house this Saturday, a 4 hour holiday program on Sunday, basketball games throughout the next two weeks, the Sunday school program on the 21st, and my family Christmas on the 22nd.

I think for the next hour after my realization, I was actually in shock. I couldn't stop thinking about all I still had to do. And then I realized, I'll get done what I get done!

I have to do the baking, as they are for friends. The rest, we'll wing.

And in the end, the reason we celebrate on December 25th stays the same, no matter what remains undone.



No comments: