We are in the heart of Christmas right now, with cookies being baked, the tree being decorated, preparations at church... so much.
I always miss having my daughter around me at this time of year. I miss having her here to be baking with, decorating the tree, shopping, wrapping presents. Off away at college, she won't be here until the 23rd late, so much of the prep will be over by then.
My son, still at home - age 16 - is wonderful to have here. He has been helping with everything - decorating, baking... And I didn't realize that any of it mattered to him until this last week. And it warms my heart.
I am in the middle of baking literally hundreds of dozens of cookies. Multiple varieties - for family and friends. He has been helping with all aspects, and of course, has been my main taste tester. I have about a dozen cookies and candies that I make every year, and I didn't realize that the tradition of my baking mattered to him.
One day this week, on the way home from practice, we were talking about the baking I was doing that night. He surprised me by telling me that I need to write all the recipes for my cookies down - for his sister and him - for Christmas. Not this year, because it's probably too late, but next year. I love that he wants my recipes - and wants to carry them on.
Then last night, he surprised me again. We were finishing the decorating of the tree. He commented that maybe when his sister gets home, she could add some to it, so she could be part of it too.
I am so very proud of the young man he has become. This week he has shown me even more about what is in his heart, and what family means to him.
No comments:
Post a Comment