Monday, November 25, 2013

Thankful...

Thanksgiving preparations are under way. Every year I get to host 22 of my husband's family, and it's something I look forward to for weeks before.

Our home is not large. It's actually rather small. But every year, we find a way, to have three tables set for a sit-down Thanksgiving dinner for all of us.

Today was a day to reclaim the house. I cleaned the kitchen from top to bottom, emptying shelves, disinfecting, decluttering, and organizing drawers and cupboards. It feels amazing to have a fresh kitchen ready to cook. A few more fall decorations were added, and the house put in order.

I baked a couple of loaves of bread to use in the stuffing, cubed them up, and have them out to dry. The recipes have been pulled and the grocery list made, and the ham is thawing in the fridge.

The next few days will be crazy. Grocery shopping, pie baking, and cooking. We need to pull up the family dishes, get everything washed, and tables set.

The best part of this week is my daughter returning from college. I love having her by my side throughout the preparation - cooking old family recipes together. And I love that the holiday means as much to her, as it does to me.

So this is my calm before the storm. I'm taking the night to sit on the couch watching holiday movies on Hallmark and drinking eggnog. Tomorrow morning the rush begins. And in 24 hours, I'll be sitting here with my daughter catching up. And in 36 hours, we will be sitting down with our family to remember all that we are thankful for.

I am thankful for so much. My life is so full. We are so Blessed.

No comments: