Friday, August 31, 2012

the boys of fall....

I love football. I have always loved football. It all started as a young girl in the early 70's, watching the not-so-good Green Bay Packers on the black and white television in the basement of my parents' home. (Dad wouldn't watch them - and he got the color tv upstairs).

Then I started school - and a dear friend (a football player) - took the time in Junior High to EXPLAIN the game to me. He taught me what to watch - in various positions - that showed me what the players were going to be doing.

Throughout High School, I never missed a game. Same with College. While neither team was very good, I loved watching "my boys" play. Had very close friends on the team throughout my schooling, which only made me love it more.

I joked when my son was born in 1997, that I couldn't wait to have a son who played football. And THEN, when he started playing, I finally got my wish. I'd waited my whole life for a son to play football. Watching throughout those early years, I loved watching him change. Now, as a sophomore, he plays JV, and is doing great. Small school means he plays offense and defense, and this week, had a great first game of the season with a solo sack!

Tonight was a Varsity game, and while my son doesn't play Varsity yet, I just LOVE watching the games. The drive those boys have, the heart.... and it didn't hurt to have a 50-21 victory, either....

Tonight we watched the boys under a beautiful sky, a Blue Moon none-the-less, and as the chill came through the air, I breathed it in.

I love this time of year.

I love the game of football.

 I love my boys of fall....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you can enjoy that, I struggle with it,I prefer to watch on Tv or listen on radio --carmen