Not knowing what to make for dinner (I'd be arriving home at 6:30), I was frustrated before even walking in the door, knowing that I'd been slacking in planning meals, having worked my fifth day in a row...
I opened the door to the kitchen to find my darling husband at the stove, making mashed potatoes and boiled sweet corn.
understand what this meant to me.
- my husband understood that i'd be tired and not want to cook
- i didn't have to cook dinner
- we had surprise sweet corn that i didn't know about
The sweet corn was a gift from my in-laws, who had purchased some from a local Amish farm. The corn in general this year has not been good. Due to drought, it's been dimpled, touch, and really not that sweet.
BUT THIS SWEET CORN...
IT was another story.
It was the true, tender, ultra sweet treat that we normally enjoy here in central Wisconsin. The first truly sweet sweet corn we've had this year. Tender, beautiful sweet corn that made all the troubles of the day melt away.
For those of you who have never eaten fresh picked sweet corn, you will not understand. But it is truly heaven-sent.
And it was those little things - not having to make dinner, and enjoying the amazing taste of summer, that made a not-so-wonderful day turn into a wonderful evening.
No comments:
Post a Comment