Wednesday, August 22, 2012

providing for the family....as a working mom on a budget!

The new school year is right around the corner, and with a growing 15 year old boy, having enough good food in the house is always a challenge. And now that I'm back to working 30 hours a week, managing that, while working, AND keeping with our budget has me being creative.

This morning I decided to freeze some breakfast burritos - very inexpensive, and packed with protein, they are a quick and easy breakfast to eat "on the go", that keeps my boys going with a stomach full of protein!

This week I found a pack of 5 sweet Italian sausages on sale for less than 3$. I used 2 for my burritos ($1.20). I browned up the sausage with a chopped green pepper and onion, both from the garden!

Then I added 6 scrambled eggs (.90), cooking until almost set, and then sprinkled with 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese (.75).

I had enough egg mixture to make 10 burritos but only had 7 tortillas left, so I made 7. If I'd used all 10 tortillas (1.29), and made all 10, the cost would have come to $4.14 for 10 of them, less than .45 each! Even if they eat TWO, that's less than 1$ for a hot breakfast full of protein. To eat them, all you do is microwave them for 45 seconds or so (depends on your microwave).


I do a lot of freezer meals. As a working mom, it's the only way to ensure my family is eating well, even if I'm not home. I've recently found some freezer crockpot recipes I'm going to try also - all of the ingredients frozen together, ready to drop in the crock pot in the morning!

Feeding your family, even if on a budget, or as a working parent, can be done. But it takes some thought and planning. I like to do freezer cooking days - taking a day a month (or more if needed) to just COOK. Make ONE mess, but fill the freezer with meals ready for the oven. It is healthier (fresh ingredients, no preservatives) and cheaper!

No comments: