Monday, July 30, 2012

how do you hug your babies?????

How do you hug your babies? Squeeze them? Pat them? Hold them?

I've realized, now that my babies are 20 and 15, that I don't hug them the same anymore. My kid hugs have changed throughout the years.

Those early years - were the best - with hugs that seemed to go on forever. Little arms around your neck, or leg, or wherever... squeezing all that love into you. Man, it doesn't get any better.

Then they become teenagers, and the hugs, while still there in my family, changed. They were no longer squeezing hugs. They were "complimentary" hugs - pats to ensure we were still connected, but shorter. Still great to get any kind of hug, just different.

Then my oldest went to college, and the hugs changed again. Not having her living here anymore, the hugs are less frequent. And I'm not there to protect her and pick her up when she falls. I have a hard time letting go. I hug her, holding on, and giving her as much protection as I can to hold her through until the next time we will be together.

I long for those early hugs. For a child squeezing my heart with all their soul. I may surprise my kids with the next hug...don't warn them!

Don't take anything for granted. Hug like there's no tomorrow.

No comments: