It's been a long gardening season...
Being my first season without a full time job, I was SO looking forward to it. I had visions of starting every day weeding, and admiring my growing gardens... and thoughts of all of the amazing produce that would fill our fridge for months.
It's been the worst drought in our area in 30 years. Not the greatest year to start!
And then I learned...
it's REALLY not up to me.
So here it is, as of mid-summer, my list of the Top Ten things I've learned about gardening so far!
10. Deer like chard, lettuce, beans, pepper plants, and broccoli leaves. The don't appear to like cucumber plants, tomatoes, or squash (the prickly leaves maybe?).
9. I am not sure HOW people grow those huge heads of broccoli... need to research natural fertilizers.
8. You need a TALL fence to keep out the deer.
7. When it's 91 degrees before 10am, you have to get up pretty early to weed.
6. I am NOT good at starting plants from seeds. I need to do some research.
5. Seeds sown directly need to go in earlier.
4. I need more rain barrels.
3. In drought, animals will move into your garden to find food. Survival of the Fittest.
2. God is in control of the rain.
1. I have a LOT to learn.....
No comments:
Post a Comment