Thursday, July 26, 2012

the state of the drought...survival of the fittest.

I have to say that as far as I can remember, this drought, the drought of 2012, is the worst in my lifetime. And being a full time gardener now, it has brought challenges.
  • The radishes were very hot. Something I've been told happens with high growing heat. They were beautiful, but HOT.
  • We saved rainwater and water from the sump pumps, but ran out rather early. It's not the norm for us to actually water the garden with the hose.
  • Peppers and tomatoes are struggling, even with our every other night soaking. It's just too hot for almost everything.
  • So while harvest is not great, we are still able to enjoy the fruits of our labors. Just a little less "fruit", and a lot more labor.
I noticed a few things the other day when walking around the yard and gardens. True signs of the drought. The "state of the yard" so-to-speak:

SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST
While the grass is dead, some weeds are thriving..

so sad... yet we know that it is simply gone dormant,
 and will come back either later this year, or next year. It will be ok!


these little beauties have sprung up everywhere.
I imagine they are normally mown off, but without rain, we haven't mowed in a month.
they are the bright spot in this drought!

No comments: