So it is the end of day 5. I believe this is the longest that Ken and I have ever been apart. Weird, considering how much I travel to see friends, but it's usually a long weekend. Five days being the most. And it's more than just five days, it's the fact that there are still 16 days to GO.
I am trying to stay busy. Working on prepping the bedroom for painting, defrosting the freezer, working the garden, etc. But there is still the looming piece missing. He's never been gone for more than a couple of days. I'm starting to notice. I have so much more to do, the yard work, the bills, etc. Things that he normally handles.
The first four days of the trip, they stopped often - so he checked in. This morning they left for the trail head, now riding off-road. He hasn't checked in since 10. I know there will be times he can't get messages out. I know there will be times that they just don't stop. But the instant loss of contact has been maddening. It is why I have to keep busy. I pray that he has a chance to let me know how far they got. That they are ok.
I miss him like crazy. I miss that every day connection of talking about our days. Of making plans together. Since leaving my full time job, I've been able to spend SO much more time with him, and I have gotten spoiled.
A friend recently lost her husband - age 34. I now can imagine what she is going through. But my time apart, without him, is finite. It will be over in 16 more days. He will be home. She doesn't have that. Keeping her in my heart makes my days go easier.
Still hoping for that text. Just a few words - so I know all is well. Then back to keeping busy, until the next text. I will live from text to text. Holding my breath for the next word.
No comments:
Post a Comment