Last night was the second time that Ken was unable to check in due to no service. Talk about LONG evenings. But he checked in this afternoon, and they are in Del Norte, CO, and still LOVING the trip. As much as I miss him, I am SO happy he has had this opportunity. It is truly a trip of a lifetime, something that he will talk about for the rest of his life. What an amazing gift!
On the home front - the painting of the bedroom is truly underway, the last coat of primer drying as we speak. The painting is a story in itself. But then, isn't most of my life?
I had most of the bedroom emptied a week ago. And then, the looming job of actually PAINTING was just too much. I found every excuse in the world. I had gardening to do. I had shopping to do. I had to clean the house. A friend needed me. All of this time, however, I was prepping. Bought the spackle. Bought the paint. Started taping.... all of this over a WEEK ago!
I had planned on painting the primer last night, but then got a call from a friend in need (SO thankful for that call!), so I headed out. By the time I got home, it was almost 10, and I wasn't about to start then. (Of course not!)
I decided last night, since all of the clocks were unplugged, to let myself sleep in today. The first day in MONTHS I've not set an alarm. And I slept until after 8 am! It was amazing. Totally refreshed, I really had no excuse to start painting.
We have a relatively small house. And only a single window air conditioning unit - in the living room -is used to cool the house. The bedroom, of course, is the furthest room away. Today we have a heat advisory - expected temps to reach upper nineties, with a heat index of over 100. Of course. So no opening the windows. All of this equates to one HOT room. I was literally sweating EVERYWHERE after getting the primer coat(s) done.
Yes, you read that right. COATS. As in multiple.
Let's go back to 1996. Only in our first home for 6 months, I decided the first room to decorate would be our bedroom. We were newly married, and of course had registered for (and received) our entire bedroom set - in burgundy magnolias with dark green accents.
DO NOT JUDGE ME.
It was 1996. I was in style. I swear.
So to match the BEAUTIFUL bedroom set, I thought burgundy sponge painting the bottom half of the wall would be amazing. And it was, in 1996.
Fast forward 17 years, and I hate that paint. Which is why when Ken decided to take a 3 week road trip, I decided that I had the perfect time to redo the bedroom. (Let's admit it - it was more than overdue after 17 years.)
Guess what? Burgundy is dark. REALLY dark. So of course, I couldn't get away with one coat of primer, I had to use two.
But I am victorious! The burgundy sponge painting is GONE. I have a clean slate for my new bedroom colors. And I cannot wait to get started. Four hours, and I'm in there adding chocolate and blue to make that burgundy sponge painting a distant memory.
2 comments:
Yay! So proud of you and yes, the burgandy was aweful
You go Melissa! Can't wait to see the finished product! :)
Post a Comment