Wednesday, June 10, 2009

seventeen years ago today....

My firstborn is 17 years old today. It is unfathomable to me. I know that's a cliche. But it really is so true. I feel like life is flying by, like just weeks ago, she was making a commercial in the big box in the living room, while doing a Martha Stewart show. I have a year before she leaves for college. A year of weekends. A year of mornings. A year of movie nights. A year of watching her from the bleachers. It's SO hard to grasp.

I hope that she has a good day. She's been not so happy these last few days- not sure why, as she evades the question. I'm sure her best friend graduating is a part of it. As is summer. She's very social. She misses her friends in the summer, misses seeing them every day.

But she has a busy summer planned - basketball league, volleyball league, volleyball camp, several mini vacas with us. It will be a fun summer, no doubt. The beginning of her transformation to adulthood. She commented the other day that she can now see rated R movies. It's those little things. She's making her own choices. And she's making good ones. I'm SO proud of the decisions she's made.

Enough rambling. Time to concentrate. Celebrating A will come tonight....

1 comment:

Merri said...

Tell the "birthday girl" Happy Birthday for me! I know what you mean....where have the years gone?? My 17 year old won't graduate for 2 years but I already wonder(and worry)what the future holds for him!