Friday, June 19, 2009

a rainy afternoon

I think this afternoon's rain is a gift. God, telling some of us to sit back and relax. So many of my friends are doing the same as we are now, frantically doing landscaping, re-roofing, siding, all of those outdoor projects we wait all winter to complete.

On a day like this, my initial reaction is utter disappointment that I'm not going to be able to "stay on schedule" with my landscaping projects. In my head, I was getting supplies at noon, then getting a good couple of hours in after dinner tonight, leaving about 2 more hours to finish this weekend, in between graduation parties, a visit to my dad, as well as an afternoon with a sister.

God had different plans. He thinks we need rain (and I think we do!). And He thinks that we need a break from our plans. It's amazing how quickly we are reminded that we are not in charge! We so often think we are the ones calling the plays, making our "schedules".

We are not. He will guide us, push our life in the direction it is supposed to go!

So I now am seeing this rainy afternoon as a beautiful gift. After dinner I might just start the next book for book club, or go through a couple of magazines. After all, it's rude not to accept a gift!

No comments: