Thursday, June 4, 2009

central wisconsin spring

Driving home last week, after three days of long rains, I noticed the corn.

There are a LOT of corn fields here. A lot. And every spring, the fields are worked up, planted, and watched, to see if the corn will be "knee-high by the 4th", meaning the 4th of July. There is something beautiful about the symmetry of planted corn fields, and on this particular day, it was the first day I noticed the corn coming up. Beautiful rows...acres of it... about two inches high. Spring has arrived.

It's been a cool spring so far. We turn our furnace off completely, so cool springs are very evident at our house. We freeze. There are nights I have to cover my head because my nose gets cold. On the really bad nights, we light a fire in the fireplace, which is all we need. But those in between nights get mighty cold....

My garden is up and doing well. Every night I hoe one quarter. It's a round garden, but vegetables, mixed with flowers. The lettuce, spinach, onions, peas, beans, tomatoes, and peppers are all doing well. I should be eating fresh lettuce salads within a week. It's beautiful to look at. I have worked very hard this spring on my flower beds, garden, herbs, raspberries, and grapes. They look better than ever. I hope that I can maintain it. It's the first year I"ve not had to take care of my dad, so I think that my time will be more for my yard work. I hope so. There is nothing more satisfying.

Well, enough rambling on the spring. The lilacs, tulips, and other spring flowers are done, it's time to watch the Iris's (the flower that reminds me of mom).

No comments: