Monday, March 16, 2009

the relationship with my son...

Yesterday the weather turned beautiful. My son and I had to take our coats off walking home from church, what a nice surprise! I had a lot of homework to do, but I was well rested, and moving mountains. When I finished my paper, which I was proud of, he told me "good job". Understand, he is 11. While he is taller than me, and stronger than me, he is still only 11, my baby. And he was cheering me on. It warmed my heart.

With the paper down, and a quiz, discussion, and homework looming, I dug in. I finished quite early, around 4. So I asked if he wanted to join me for a walk. "Sure". Not much, but it meant he still wanted to spend time with me.

While we walked, he dribbled his basketball (which very seldom leaves his hands when he's out doors), and the two of us passed the ball back and forth, he practicing his quick stops, pivots, etc. Quickly, the first mile was behind us and we were near the highway. I make him hang onto the ball for the short stint on the highway, and as we walked in silence, I heard a chuckle. When I asked what was so funny, he said "you're how old, and your 11 year old son is taller than you". Not sure why that struck him as so funny, but I smacked him on the back side of the head, and we continued. The last mile was again passing, dribbling, etc., general joking.

I just love that we have this kind of relationship. So comfortable. It's good. And for now, it's still mine. And THAT I cherish.

No comments: