Sunday, January 25, 2009

THAT teacher.....

Twice this week, teachers have been in my thoughts. The first, in a sad way. I opened the paper this week to find that one of my third grade teachers had passed away - at a very young age. She was one of those "warm" people. Caring, loving. Inspired teacher. You just knew when you were around her that she loved you... It's been strange reminiscing about her. One of those things you don't do often. Not often enough.

The second time came this morning, at church. I've been relishing in the fact that after 16 years of teaching Sunday School, I am finished! My youngest will not be in ss next year, as he moves to confirmation. So I won't have to teach. Or so I thought. Today I realized that I don't teach because I have to. I lOVE those kids. They refresh me. They inspire me. At their tender young ages of 3 and 4, they teach me so much. So when my 11 year old asked if he could teach WITH me next year, I jumped at the chance. I realized today. I am going to be "that" teacher - at age 70 - that every kid had in Sunday school. And I couldn't think of a better legacy. :-)

2 comments:

Salzwedel Family said...

How cool that you will be teaching together! That is great.

on changing my life said...

I love that he wants to! I love those kids!!! I was able to see a bunch of them this morning, as I was distributing Crystal Apple info at the Pittsville schools. It's a good way to start the day, with all those smiling faces!