Friday, January 23, 2009

raising a bachelor

I realized something yesterday, as I watched my 11 year old son (now taller than me), standing at the stove making himself a grilled cheese sandwich. In all of my "life teachings" that I strive to do, I'm succeeding. My son will be a successful bachelor. He can warm up chef boyardee, and he can make a grilled cheese sandwich.

It scared me. As I watched him, he became a grown man in front of my eyes. Independent, and capable. Not needing me. While I'm so proud to see the amazing young man he's becoming, it saddens me deeply to know that the little boy is gone forever.

There are many times I see this grown man show up. When he's standing in front of church collecting the offering. When I come home from a long day at work and he greets me at the door with "how was your day". When he makes himself a grilled cheese sandwich. My grown man son. My bachelor.

For now at least, a bachelor to be. I have a few years yet!

No comments: