Tuesday, June 24, 2008

capturing the moment...

I am working on a landscaping project. Or should I call it a labor of love? When my mom died two years ago, I was given a flowering crab tree by a dept I work with at work, and two peonies (my mom's favorite) from a close friend. At that time, I had to just plant them. Didn't know what to do.

Last year, I envisioned a round garden surrounding the trio, bordered with blocks, and including some vegetables, some flowers, whatever I want. A working garden, not just a perennial border.

So I have begun. When my dh was ready to plant his tomatoes, we tilled up the circle around the tree and plants, and planted our veggies. I added some flowers. It is now my goal to get the rock finished around it, completing the project, this summer.

Saturday we purchased the block, and I laid about 20 (128 total.) Sunday didn't have a lot of time to work on it, but I got the first quarter of them completed. At first I was going to try to rush and get it done before my company comes this weekend, but then I decided that I really want to experience the process. And last night was a perfect example.

DH was working on his Harley, son helping him, and dd mowing lawn. I sat at the edge of my new garden taking it all in. The peonies are just beginning to bloom. While most are almost finished, mine held out so that I could enjoy them while I work the garden. The vegetables look amazing, as do the flowers, thanks to the rain we've had. I stared at all the block I'd laid to that point and reveled in the look. It's exactly what I wanted. The lawn mower hummed in the background.

After dinner I returned to the garden to lay a few more block. This time, it was quiet. As I dug, and laid sand, and leveled block, I listened to the frogs, the birds, and the insects. I marveled at just how quiet our neighborhood is. I love where I live. I always have. But it is moments like this that I realized it most.

I love having my mom garden. I bought a beautiful stone, and am looking for a bench. It will be my place to connect with her. Heck, it already is - I know she's there with me while I work.

No comments: