Another hard call from the Veteran's home. My dad is continuing to decline, eating and drinking less, losing weight, and refusing help. I know that at 88, with his mind gone, this is all inevitable, but it doesn't make the realization any easier.
We made the decision, the nurse and I, to go forward with what they call "comfort cares", doing all they can to make him comfortable, but allowing nature to take its course.
I remember the conversations ten years ago with my parents, that they didn't want heroic measures. That they didn't want to have life if it meant not a quality life. And when my mom coded back in 2006, we missed the opportunity to issue the DNR, and they ended up intubating her. It was horrible to watch her fighting, trying to tell them she was ready to die, telling them she didn't want that. I felt like I had failed her horribly. I am glad to be able to have these conversations about my dad, so that the same thing doesn't happen now....
But it doesn't make it easy.
2 comments:
Very hard decisions for you to make - but the correct ones none the less.
Thoughts and prayers are with you.
It sucks....
Thinking about you and love ya lots!
Post a Comment