The TEN MINUTE TABLE RUNNER
7:30 am. Machine is in the building. And the coffee is brewing. (Priorities)
This is literally everything I own relating to sewing. EVERYTHING. The sewing box was a gift from my oldest sister - 28 years ago - and I'm still using it today.
8:50 am. Pattern is photocopied (so I have my own copy).
*note - we have a system at craft day - it starts with coffee, sweets and catching up - no hurry
8:55 am. Fabric is chosen.
*An amazing friend brought a selection of fabrics, saving me. The pattern called for two, I had only one for the dining room, but she had one that coordinated!
9:00 am. FIRST CUT!
I can do this, right????
9:05 am. Coffee break. Who knew sewing could be so stressful?
9:12 am. Bobbin loaded!
Full speed ahead on the bobbin filling..full speed ahead!
re-threading!
9:25 am. Pressing of the fabrics
9:35 am. Coffee break. Seriously though - I've already done a lot at this point. I deserve some coffee.
9:50 am. Pinning!!!!!
10:05 am. I sewed my first seam!
* we should note. At this point, I have been in the building with my machine for approximately 2 1/2 hours, working on the project for over an hour. I am now sewing. On this TEN MINUTE TABLE RUNNER.
I am going to do this~
10:12 am FIRST FULL SEAM FINISHED!
I did it!
10:12:05 am. We realize that the machine is not working properly.
10:30 am. Seam ripping commences
I'll be completely honest. At this point, I was pretty defeated. The seam looked SO nice on the top. I thought I'd DONE it. And then... But kudos to my support team, they kept pushing forward. Kept working with me on the machine, checking tension.. We thought all was lost until Laura sat at the machine, and recognized a miss-step in the threading!
10:45 am. Laura saves the day!!!!!
11:05 am. Pinning take two
11:21 am. First TRULY successful seam complete! I really DID sew this time!
Let's take a second to ponder our progress thus far, on this TEN MINUTE TABLE RUNNER. I have been working on it now, for approximately 2 1/2 hours, and I have sewn one seam. Ok. Back to the story.
11:28 am. I flip Laura off for the second time. Two things need to be considered here. Flipping someone off is a sign of affection. And Laura is REALLY sarcastic. (Just sayin')
11:35 am. Second seam is sewn (I am FLYING now) - creating a tube of fabric!
Tube O' Fabric
Turning and pressing the corners after the final two seams
12:05 am. THE TEN MINUTE TABLE RUNNER IS COMPLETE, after a whopping 3 hrs. and 10 minutes.
(hands up! step away from the ironing board!)
A very proud lady.....
I wanted to add buttons from my vintage button collection once I got home... Here is the finished product, on my dining room table at home.
6 comments:
I am so proud of you! I just wish I could have been there to share this time with you all.... Miss you guys so much!
You were in my heart the entire time!!!!!
I want to be this happy
Great job Melissa! You look like an official seamstress with the measuring tape draped around your neck. Love the table runner! It is beautiful! Are the wine corks from the wine you needed to drink after 3 hours of making "the 10 minute table runner? HA!
Yes, the measuring tape was a late decision. I do think it helped me channel my inner sewing person. And there was wine (after we left church of course!) :-)
This is awesome! I have a brand new sewing machine - never been used - I have had it at least 12 years...maybe I will dust it off! As always, you're such an inspiration!!
Post a Comment